5 Alumni Win NCAA DI National Championship with USC
SAN JOSE, CALIFORNIA – This past Sunday in San Jose, California, Avaya Stadium hosted the NCAA DI women’s soccer finals bringing the 2016 collegiate season to a close. The University of Southern California Trojans picked up their 2nd ever womens soccer national championship beating West Virginia 3-1 in front of an enthusiastic northern California afternoon crowd. USC won previously in 2007.
Their are several outstanding takeaways from this win and how it relates to the Slammers FC organization and alumni. Please see below:
- 5 Slammers alumni played on this years USC championship team (Julia Murphy, Julia Bingham, Leah Pruitt, Savannah Levin, and Kayla Mills)
- This is the 2nd NCAA title for USC WSOC; both teams were captained by Slammers alum (Savannah Levin, 2016 and Ashley Nick, 2007)
- Kayla Mills and Leah Pruitt both made the NCAA Women’s College Cup All-Tournament Team
- Slammers alumni had 2 of the 3 assists in the final game (Levin, Pruitt)
- 8 of the last 11 NCAA DI National Champions had Slammers playing for them
- 5 of these 8 championship teams had Slammers as captains (2007-A.Nick, 2008 & 2009-W.Engen, 2011-C.Levin, 2016-S.Levin)
- All in the Family: USC captain Savannah Levin’s older sister Cami captained Stanford’s 2011 national championship team at Stanford exactly five years earlier on December 4th against Duke where they won 1-0. Both sisters assisted the first goal for their teams in the finals.
A great season and a great victory for the women of Troy in Los Angeles.
Congrats Slammers alumni!!! Great work, great effort.